Latest News

Andrew's horror novella, 'The Bathtub', is now available.

Saturday 9 March 2013

Review: New Chance by Z.J. McBeattie

New ChanceThis is a short, thought provoking read set in the near future.  Eric is the product of a world where fortunate children spend their first five years in an environmentally protected world.  As an adult, he wants to get return to its simpler life.

The story is well structured and well written.  The author’s knowledge of the subject comes through and gives the prose an obvious confidence. 

I thought the story’s strength, though, was in the way Eric’s character unfolded as I read.  My thoughts went from sympathy to unease and worse as we were shown the lengths he was willing to go to, to return to his childhood’s world.

I didn’t see the ending coming; it raised a skilful and thought-provoking story to ‘memorable’ status and 5/5 from me.

‘New Chance’ is available from Amazon.

Here’s the author’s Amazon page.

No comments:

Post a Comment